Here is the pillow I finished for Mad's room. I am entering it in the Blogger's Pillow Party. What fun!
I ended up making a scrappy log cabin (of sorts) for the front panel, and experimented with quilting it to a small piece of batting.
Here's a better look at what I did. I love the way the stitch lines formed squares at the corners, it really adds to the "quilty" look I was going for. The owl is a left over piece of fabric I had hand screen printed a while back.
I added some embroidered tree detail.
And appliquéd some leaves.
And in case you're curious, I sewed my first ever envelope back (super easy!) out of an old sheet, which means I didn't even have to hem the envelope opening since I just cut my pieces from the edge.
Success! She approves.