Thursday, October 16, 2014

freehand embroidery


Recently I was given a huge stack of pre-cut vintage quilt squares. I know, right! So awesome. I immediately thought of how fun it would be to embroider some of them to make some personalized soft baby blocks. So I just went for it (the embroidery, that is... I have yet to sew anything. Ahem). I knew I didn't want to find letter patterns, because I just wanted to be able to sit and not really think about what I was going to do and just feel free to go with the flow... whatever that means. 


Turns out, I love it. What a fun way to just relax and enjoy the process without the pressure of getting a "perfect" result. If you're thinking about embroidery, or even if you've previously enjoyed embroidering patterns, I would encourage you to give freehand embroidery a try. 


Such a great way to experiment with new stitches and play around with different thicknesses of floss without the commitment of a large piece. I'm thinking about how fun it might be to do a patchwork pillow with some of these squares, too. Maybe a wedding or house warming gift for some friends?


This one reminds me of sprinkles on a cupcake. And now I'm hungry. 

2 comments: